Probably the best and most cost effective bit of tech i bought this year is a now tv box! the box was initially 10 pound but they seemed to have added packages like i got a 3 month entertainment pack with it so the box costs 20 quid! – no contract like normal sky and i can add movies package which will cost a tenner a month. Any way its bundled up with loads of sky channels, catch up players for itv, bbc etc thats all cool. the box is simple the remote is simple just rire in you wep key to connect to your wireless and your away!!
Now the extra bit is a simple walk through can add plex client
i got the plex 2.6.9 here
Next, grab your Now TV remote and press the following buttons in order, relatively quickly. If you fail once, just repeat and try again:
Home x3, Up x2, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right
write down the ip address of the box and make a note of it, Next press ‘OK’ on the ‘Enable installer’ option presented and agree to the developer agreement that appears (you have to pretend to read it all, so just hold the down button until its fully scrolled and press ok). You will need to agree one final time on the pop up box and your NowTV box will restart.
Once it’s reloaded and back on the home screen fire up your web browser on your PC and go to the address which was shown to you earlier. If you got it correct, you will be presented with the developer screen. Select browse and select the zip file you downloaded. It should then install and the plex should kick in and you select close and it presents you with a icon on the menu – now as long as you have setup a plex server on your network you should be able to stream music and movies from the plex server .
plex is available here
its available for mac, linux and windows and clients are available for raspberry, android, iphones etc.
I setup a plex account and when i installed it on the android it can see me plex server from outside over mobile network as the server opens a port on the router automatically for you giving you access from outside from your plex clients – also you can add friends so you can share plex servers!
one note i installed rasplex, its very nice but it didnt work right on my raspberry A – so installed raspbmc and the plex plugin and it works flawlessly. Pretty straight forward when you have raspbmc installed.
- Download the PlexBMC add-on repository from here:
- Install this into XBMC (System > Add-ons > Install from zip file).
- Go to Add-ons > Get Add-ons > PlexBMC Add-ons for XBMC
- PlexBMC is a set of two add-ons.
- PlexBMC provides the main access to content. Enable it in Video, Music, or Picture (you only need to enable in one location). (This is required.)
- PlexBMC Helper allows you to control XBMC from a Plex remote (such as on mobile device or the web). Essentially it causes PlexBMC to appear just like a Plex Home Theater instance. Also required for “Now Playing” support. (This is optional, but highly recommended.)
- Once the add-ons are enabled, you can update to new releases simply by updating your add-ons within XBMC.